This morning I had the pleasure of taking the wonderful (please note the sarcasm here) Glucose test. I arrived at the lab/hospital bright and early at 7:30am so I wouldn't have to miss much work. Oh - for those who don't know this test the first screening for Gestational Diabetes. If I pass (keep your fingers crossed) no further action is taken, if I fail I have to do another more lengthy test and if I fail that - oh gosh - who knows I think a new diet.
Anyways - I had to drink this lovely sugar filled drink within 3-5 mins. If you throw up you fail automatically - no pressure!!! ha My choices of flavor were: Orange, Lemon/lime, or fruit punch. I chose Orange. The taste - basically watered down orange Koolaid that had wayyyyy too much sugar in it. After chugging it I had to sit there for an hour and then blood was drawn. Now I must note that since my first doctor visit I have tried very very very hard to limit my sugar intake - especially NO NO NO Caffeine drinks or sodas for me. So I haven't had a coke, Dr. pepper, Gatorade or anything like that in about 6 months. The Glucose drink gave me a horrible headache, I guess it was the side effects of too much sugar in my system. My body must have gone into sugar shock.
The lady who took my blood was wonderful. I didn't even feel the needle go in or feel the fact that she filled 4 vials up with blood. Quick question for any nurses out there - why the heck do they need so much blood samples for one simple test???? What do they do with all the left over blood??? EEWWWW
I won't know the results of the test until tomorrow (Thursday July 10th) or even Friday the 11th when I go for the RH shot. I'll let you know the out come.
So moral of the blog - - - Glucose drink (1st time around) isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Just left me with a tummy ache (which at 4:15pm, current time, I still have) and a headache from sugar overdose. Bet Britton is doing some crazy flips in my tummy burning off all the sugar. hehe


No comments:
Post a Comment